SUP – STAND UP PADDLE BOARDING
What is SUP? – Stand Up Paddle Boarding is a water sport/activity that has water sports enthusiast talking about across the globe. If you ever dreamed about surfing but thought it was out of your league well this could be your answer. Being in the sea, lake, river or a dam there is something about being in the water that brings a level of calmness let’s face it water attracts.
To bring this to life if I were to talk to a surfer and ask what it is like when catching a tube or barrel off a wave they will for sure tell you there is no better feeling in the world that connects the soul to the wave, you feel that you are one with the water the feeling is overwhelming.
Now the same can be said about SUP – The amazing thing about is that just about anyone can give it try. It is a challenge especially for first timers, but it can quickly turn into a hobby or a sport. Either way it will put a smile on your face.
Being on SUP board you need balance, which is great for building core strength, Endurance, burn calories whilst having fun. It also allows you to build strength throughout the body it works on the upper body as well as lower body muscle groups. Like swimming which is the only sport that allows you to utilize every muscle in the body.
Types of Stand-Up Paddleboards:
Paddle boards comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes before we investigate how to choose the right one for you which is important as it can impact the type of paddling and safety in the water.
We have two main types:
An Inflatable Board and A Solid Board. These can be differentiated depending on how much fun you want to have in the water, well here they are:
- Surf SUP Board– This type of board can be used to surf waves as well as have fun in the water it is for your more adrenaline and thrill-seeking type it is typically shorter than other boards, have a narrower nose and tail.
- Touring SUP Board - These boards are designed to be used in flat or choppy water because they’re long and pointed in the nose which help them to go straight and glide more efficiently much like a surf ski
- RACE SUP Board - These boards can look the same as touring boards except they’re narrower and a bit longer this makes the race board faster and less stable are typically used in races so if you seeking to be competitive then this is for you.
- The All ROUNDER BOARD –This is by far the most popular ever tried doing yoga on SUP board well this is it. They are generally wider, longer and thicker board. This allows them to have a good balance performance, stability and versatility. These boards are great for everyday recreational paddling. You can also use this for YOGA, FITNESS or even FISHING.
Let’s look at what’s right for you. Believe it or not there is a mathematical equation but don’t worry its relatively simple. What you might be thinking is right now why do I need to do math’s to go out into the water and paddle. Well it’s about how to choose your SUP Board:
Beginner: Riders weight (kg) x 2 = liters (e.g. 60kg x 2= 120 liters)
Intermediates: Riders weight (kg) x 1.7
Advanced: Riders weight (kg) x 1.3
Now that we got the board out the way we need a paddle to keep this simple there are two main types:
- Fixed length paddle: it needs to be cut according to your requirement; it is usually lighter and stiffer because it doesn’t have the lock mechanism.
- Adjustable length paddle: it is more versatile you can adjust it accordingly. And, your friends and family can use it.
We are almost ready to get into the water lastly lets checkout the general checklist
- PERSONAL FLOATATION DEVICE
- PUMP (FOR INFLATABLE)
- EXTRA FINS AND SCREW PLATES
- HEADLAMP (not essential)
- SUNSCREEN (WATER RESISTANT)
- LIPBALM (WITH SPF)
- WATER BOTTLE OR HYDRATION RESERVOIR
- HYDRATION TABLETS
- SUNGLASSES WITH RETAINER
- CELLPHONE/ CREDIT CARD/CASH IN A WATERPROOF POUCH
- FIRST AID KIT
OTHER ESSENTIAL (optional)
- DRY BAGS
- SUP CARRY STRAP
- BOARD BAG
- SUP TRANSPORT CART
- PADDLE BAG
Where to SUP in UAE:
Let’s face it the UAE coastline and beach fronts are one of the most idyllic places in the world to SUP offering literally an Endless Summer. Anywhere from Public Beach opposite the Iconic Burj Al Arab, Palm Island Jumeirah, Kite Beach and Jumeirah Beach Residence are just a few places to name a few that you can use your SUP Board.
A few things to keep in mind when it comes to SUP in UAE before paddling in the ocean consider the conditions before heading out such as the weather conditions, beach safety signages, buoy lines, rip currents, tides also generally by early afternoon the wind tends to pick up making the surf choppy and not favorable for SUP.
The Best time is usually early morning sunrise also known as the “The Dawn Patrol Session” and prior to sunset which if you ever seen the sunsets in UAE there is no better way to experience this than on a SUP board.