Mountain biking is probably the most versatile form of cycling that has progressed onto a level if not that is on par with road cycling. You can use a best mountain bikes for family fun rides right up to traverse any type of terrain out there.
In terms of fitness, this sport requires an individual to have endurance, core strength and balance, bike handling skills, with self-reliance.
There are different categories for Mountain Biking.
- XC biking “Cross Country’ races involve different terrains and levels.
- Trail Riding: This is riding on single off-road trails
- Enduro – Also considered as all riding where the downhills are timed, and the uphills are mandatory but not timed.
- Downhill: Downhill racing
- Freeride – Freeride through different terrains
- Dirt jumping – Similar to motorcross except on a bicycle
- Fat Bike -Mountain Bike with oversized tires that allows you to ride on sand and pretty much anywhere but its slower than your conventional mountain bike
Mountain Biking events:
Mountain Biking Events in UAE are currently making their mark and it is growing in the region such as the Arabian Epic Series.
Mountain Biking in UAE
Mountain Biking in the UAE has its limitations therefore you have to travel outside of Dubai or Abu Dhabi to ride your mountain bike to get a real experience such as wadi Showka in Ras Al Khaima or Hatta. However, it is not to say that you cannot ride your mountain bike at your local cycling track.
Without a doubt should you want to give it a go, try Hatta wadi-hub where Mountain Biking is the prime focus with purpose-built single tracks with different grade levels of riding from green trail being the easiest to the black trail is the most advanced?
Types of Mountain Bikes:
Generally, there are many types of Mountain Bikes out there on the market. However, if we were to narrow it down there are two main types, and both have many benefits all depending on the type of riding you are considering:
- Hard Tail Mountain Bike – Basically what this means is that the bike only has a front suspension. This bicycle is considered the most common bike to use from beginners to pro’s Many Pro rider consider this type for single stage XC rides as it's generally lighter and more manageable.
- Soft Tail Mountain Bike – This type of mountain cycle has a front and rear suspension (full suspension) which is more favorable amongst downhill and multi-stage cross country racing. This bike offers more comfort especially here in UAE as the terrain here is very rocky and hard level riding.
A few locations to consider for Mountain Biking in UAE:
- Hatta Mountain Bike Trail Center
- Wadi Showka
- Nad Al Sheba off Road Track
- Al Qudra lakes